Tim Jefferson, SVP, Engineering for Data, Network and Application Security, Barracuda
Australian organizations are grappling with network breaches, ransomware attacks, remote working and more, according to the latest network security report from cloud security and data protection solutions provider Barracuda.
The conclusions of ‘The state of network security in 2021 ‘ A report from Barracuda shows that globally and in Australia, organizations are currently experiencing a high level of network breaches and ever-increasing ransomware attacks are contributing to security risks.
The report finds that 86% of Australian respondents said their organization had experienced a security breach once in the past year.
And Australian businesses whose staff work primarily from home have a significantly higher network security breach rate (93%) than businesses whose staff work primarily from the office (67%).
Key findings on Australia also include:
- 72% of those surveyed said their organization had experienced at least one ransomware attack in the past year.
- On average, only 12% of the employees of the companies surveyed currently work in the office on a permanent basis.
- 96% of respondents who own company-supplied devices share their home internet connection with other members of their household, so the risk of breach remains.
- 33% of companies with all applications in the public cloud have already deployed SD-WAN, less than companies with only a few applications in the public cloud (40%).
- 67% of companies with all applications in the public cloud have deployed Zero Trust Network Access (ZTNA), while only 40% of companies with only a few applications in the public cloud have deployed it.
- On average, organizations have deployed 30 Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) applications.
- On average, respondents said 62% of their traffic is directed to public cloud providers.
- 86% of those surveyed said their organization had been the victim of a security breach once in the past year.
- Companies whose staff worked primarily from home had a significantly higher network security breach rate (93%) than companies whose staff worked primarily from the office (67%).
According to Tim jefferson, SVP, Engineering for Data, Network and Application Security, Barracuda, the “predicament” on network security is not surprising, “given the remote working environment induced by the pandemic and the rapid transformation of technology”.
âIndeed, working from home is here to stay, and IT departments will need to support a hybrid environment that allows working at home and in the office,â says Jefferson.
âDespite broadband connections and company-provided devices, remote workers continue to experience IT issues, such as slow applications, dropped calls, and poor video quality. User experience issues and security challenges are intertwined. Companies that focus on fixing security issues also tend to improve their user experience.
âOrganizations are also realizing that moving SaaS applications to the public cloud improves the user experience, and new technologies are available to support cloud presence and improve security.
âThese Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) technologies include networking and security components. Companies are also investing and plan to continue to invest aggressively in SD-WAN and Zero Trust network access.
âTo take full advantage of SASE deployments, companies choose cloud-native SASE solutions. It is increasingly clear that these investments will help organizations better adapt to the new work environment, âadded Jefferson.
To download the full Barracuda report – ‘The state of network security in 2021 ‘ – Click here.
Subscribe to the ITWIRE UPDATE newsletter here
BIG OPENING OF THE ITWIRE BOUTIQUE
The highly anticipated iTWire Shop is now open to our readers.
Visit the iTWire Store, a premier destination for stylish accessories, gear and gadgets, lifestyle products and everyday portable office essentials, drones, smartphone zooms, software and training in line.
PLUS major brands include: Apple, Lenovo, LG, Samsung, Sennheiser and many more.
Products available for all countries.
We hope you enjoy and find value in the highly anticipated iTWire store.
ENTER THE STORE NOW!
THIS IS ITWIRE TV
iTWire TV offers unique value to the tech industry by providing a range of video interviews, news, views and reviews, and also offers vendors the ability to promote your business and marketing messages.
We work with you to develop the message and conduct the product interview or review in a safe and collaborative manner. Unlike other YouTube Tech channels, we create a story around your post and post it on the ITWire homepage, linked to your post.
Additionally, your interview post can be displayed in up to 7 different post views on our iTWire.com site to drive traffic and readers to your video content and downloads. This can be a significant lead generation opportunity for your business.
We also provide 3 videos in one recording / session if you need them so that you have a series of videos to promote to your clients. Your sales team can add your emails to the sales materials and footer of their sales and marketing emails.
Get the latest tech news, views, interviews, reviews, product promotions and events. Plus fun videos from our readers and customers.
SEE WHAT’S ON ITWIRE TV NOW!